I have been playing around with a few recipe ideas this week, in a bid to get a flavourful breakfast loaf. I think I’ve managed to crack it with this recipe, and the best thing of all? This scrumptious loaf cake is dairy, gluten, and refined sugar free! A year ago I would have probably clicked straight past this recipe as any sweet bake that is free of all those things, I assumed, would taste pretty horrid. However, give this recipe a go. It is so sweet with the banana and the only tell tell sign that it’s not your bog standard banana bread, is that its just a bit denser. Other than that, you won’t be able to tell the difference! I’ve added goji berries to the recipe to balance out the sweetness of the banana with the slight sharpness these berries have. Feel free to leave them out though, or substitute them with other berries or raisins.
225g gluten free plain flour (I used Glebe Farm)
50g ground almonds
1tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 1 vanilla pod)
3 ripe bananas (the riper the better)
half a cup of gluten free oats
2 tablespoons coconut oil
150ml almond milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
50g goji berries
pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Put all the ingredients apart from the goji berries into a food processor, and blitz until smooth
3. Add the goji berries to the mixture and stir to combine. Pour mixture into a lined loaf tin. (I used a 24cm tin. However you can use any tin, loaf or round, and just adjust cooking time accordingly)
4. Bake for about 1 hour or until golden. A skewer inserted into the middle should come out fairly clean when cooked, however there will be a slight stickiness to the loaf due to the berries.
5. Leave to cool, or serve warm (the best way!) topped with your favourite spread. I love mine with Pip & Nut honey cinnamon cashew nut butter. Enjoy!